Monday, April 20, 2015

Peace at church

A few weeks ago on a Sunday morning, I had a cub scout committee meeting. I woke up early, got dressed then started making the kids breakfast. As they started eating, I decided to lay down for one minute. Well that one minute turned into 1 hour. I woke up and realized I was super late for my meeting. As I quickly ran for the door, Brent mentioned that I probably shouldn't go since it was almost over. 
I have anxiety issues and by this time, I could barely breathe and my chest felt so tight. When my anxiety gets to a certain intensity, my brain shuts off completely. I mean like,  completely off. I can't think, make decisions or even carry on a conversion. There I stood, one foot in the garage heading to the van and one foot in the house. I froze. I didn't know what to do. And I know this sounds ridiculous; making the decision to go to a meeting late or stay home shouldn't be this hard. A normal person wouldn't feel their body going into fight or flight mode but this is something I deal with. 
As I stood there I felt the faintest "push'' to just go to the meeting. So I did. I caught the last 15 minutes of the meeting. All the important things has already been discussed and planned. I should have felt dumb for being so late and even dumber for actually showing up. But I didn't. I was completely enveloped in the spirit. The Holy Ghost didn't nudge me toward going to the meeting so I'd be filled in on all the goings-on in scouts. He knew I needed to feel that peace. He also needed me to see how easily the Lord could take away my anxiety. It was such an amazing experience. I loved the feeling of being in the Lord's care and that there was nothing too small to go unnoticed by Him.
Later that day as I walked into the chapel for sacrament meeting, I felt that same peace all over again. There are few moments when my mind is clear and my heart is calm. I felt that as I sat in my beautiful chapel that day. 

John 14: 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to go to church. It rejuvenates my spirit and I feel renewed. 


No comments: