I can honesty say I think Ayden was specifically created just for me. He helps me in so many ways without even trying. Of course, I know all mother's can say this about their children. He is always so helpful and sweet. And I've noticed that he is a genuinely good natured boy and it's only when he's not getting the attention he needs when he starts being naughty. We had a sweet moment the other day I wanted to share.
Tuesday afternoon we were driving to Brent's parents house for Aydens singing class. I was in a bad mood. I have been grumpy a lot more often lately because I'm trying a few new disciplinary training methods with Olivia and she isn't very happy with me. Needless to say, I've been a grumpy momma.
Anyway, Brent told me I need to play music in the car more often for the kids and especially to keep Olivia from getting bored and screaming. I hate listening to the radio, by the way. So I'm flipping through the channels and the only half decent song is on K Bull 93 (the only channel I like....only in the spring and summer). After listening for a little while, Ayden speaks up and says "Mom, is this a cowboy song?" To which I reply (in my usual grumpy tone) "Yes, Ayden". A few seconds go by then I hear a very loud and pronounced, "YEEEEHAWW!!" exclaimed from the backseat. I just started laughing. In an instant, I had gone from grumpy and exhausted to laughing my head off. In that moment, I was reminded that I need to have a better attitude no matter how crazy my day is going. I'M A MOM. MY JOB IS HARD. What mom doesn't have a day filled with cleaning a house that will never be clean, a never ending pile of laundry, a million errands, cooking, hyper kids, tears, tantrums, time outs, spills, messes, and wiping bums? Oh and you have to do all this without breaking a sweat and looking like you just stepped out of a Vogue Magazine. Our jobs have got to be the hardest jobs on earth. But the Lord knew what we were headed off to do and knew that if we relied on Him, we'd get the job done. I've been thinking a lot about the book called, "Don't sweat the small stuff-- and it's all small stuff". It's so true. I need to stop worrying about every little detail of my life and what other people think and just enjoy my children. They only grow up once and once they're gone you can't take back that time. I can always worry about the little things after I've tucked them into bed at night. I realized that I only have one more year before Ayden starts Kindergarten. Then I'll spend the next 13 years having him for part of the day. I know as he gets older, it'll get easier but every time I think of not having him with me all day, I start getting anxious and cry. I know when my kids are older, they're not going to remember the laundry was always done or that the dishes were always clean, they will remember the times they spent laughing with me and Brent.
So until then, I'm going to just enjoy every minute I can and if I get some cleaning done along the way, well good for me. Like today, I needed to put away some laundry I folded but my kids wanted to play with me. I grabbed a basket and tied a long rope to it and stuck my kids in it. We spent the next 20 minutes making "special deliveries" to all of our rooms to drop off presents (folded clothes) and my kids had a blast, I got a work out, cleaned and made memories with my kids. It's hard to balance it all but somehow the good Lord knew we could do it. That's why He made us mommies. I've been relying a lot lately on tips and advice from other moms to help "re-vamp" my techniques and I just keep thinking about how much I want my kids to have a good life. I'm so scared I'm going to screw them up. I wish there were a book that had all the answers to parenting.Tuesday afternoon we were driving to Brent's parents house for Aydens singing class. I was in a bad mood. I have been grumpy a lot more often lately because I'm trying a few new disciplinary training methods with Olivia and she isn't very happy with me. Needless to say, I've been a grumpy momma.
Anyway, Brent told me I need to play music in the car more often for the kids and especially to keep Olivia from getting bored and screaming. I hate listening to the radio, by the way. So I'm flipping through the channels and the only half decent song is on K Bull 93 (the only channel I like....only in the spring and summer). After listening for a little while, Ayden speaks up and says "Mom, is this a cowboy song?" To which I reply (in my usual grumpy tone) "Yes, Ayden". A few seconds go by then I hear a very loud and pronounced, "YEEEEHAWW!!" exclaimed from the backseat. I just started laughing. In an instant, I had gone from grumpy and exhausted to laughing my head off. In that moment, I was reminded that I need to have a better attitude no matter how crazy my day is going. I'M A MOM. MY JOB IS HARD. What mom doesn't have a day filled with cleaning a house that will never be clean, a never ending pile of laundry, a million errands, cooking, hyper kids, tears, tantrums, time outs, spills, messes, and wiping bums? Oh and you have to do all this without breaking a sweat and looking like you just stepped out of a Vogue Magazine. Our jobs have got to be the hardest jobs on earth. But the Lord knew what we were headed off to do and knew that if we relied on Him, we'd get the job done. I've been thinking a lot about the book called, "Don't sweat the small stuff-- and it's all small stuff". It's so true. I need to stop worrying about every little detail of my life and what other people think and just enjoy my children. They only grow up once and once they're gone you can't take back that time. I can always worry about the little things after I've tucked them into bed at night. I realized that I only have one more year before Ayden starts Kindergarten. Then I'll spend the next 13 years having him for part of the day. I know as he gets older, it'll get easier but every time I think of not having him with me all day, I start getting anxious and cry. I know when my kids are older, they're not going to remember the laundry was always done or that the dishes were always clean, they will remember the times they spent laughing with me and Brent.
The scariest part to being a mom is how easy it is to get distracted. There are so many things out there to get my attention like crafting, sewing, watching TV and even the thought of having a career. But I know if I put any of these things first, my kids won't get the attention I know they need. I'm grateful I have these distractions to help me unwind but they can't ever come before my kids. I'm grateful for the mommies I know that are such a great example to me.
Anyway, I'm done rambling. I just love being a mom so much and know that when I'm long gone, I hope that I will be remembered for being a good mom and grandma. That's all.
Sorry for writing a novel. :)
3 comments:
Shal, YOU GO GIRL! I absolutely loved this post. You are so great. Thanks for reminding me what is the most important part about my job as a mommy and for your positive outlook. Love ya lots.
Oh my goodness! Totally agree! Sometimes if we just step back and try to look at the eternal perspective it can make all the difference, but sometimes that is HARD! But lucky me, I have great people like you to remind what's most important! Love you! Love the kids and Love Brent (but in a cousin, not creepy sort of way!) Can't wait to play again!
Happy Birthday!!! :D
Post a Comment