Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sharing Time! Yikes


So I had to teach Sharing Time on Sunday. I have to tell you, I was so nervous on saturday night. I had studied a lot and had a great lesson prepared but I was still really nervous. I asked my sweet husband if he would give me a blessing, which he did and I felt a million times better. On Sunday, I got up and taught and it was wonderful!! My lesson was about things we can do on the Sabbath Day that help us feel close the Heavenly Father and Jesus. I was nervous because everyone has a different idea of what is appropriate for sunday and what is not. For example, Brent and I don't watch TV on sunday, it's just a rule he had growing up so we made it one our own when we got married. We've never watched TV on sunday (well, a few exceptions are if we go to someone's house who is watching). Anyway, I know that this rule is different for a lot of people so I didn't want to cross any lines by saying something is inappropriate and one of the children did that with their family on sunday. Anyway, I studied the teachings of President Kimball and searched the entire lds.org site and found a few detailed activities you shouldn't do on sunday so I prayed they would work and the children would agree. I put each activity on the back of a puzzle piece and had each child come pick a piece, read the activity and decided if it was an activity appropriate for sunday. All the kids agreed on which ones you should and shouldn't do on sunday and it was great! I was so glad I had this opportunity. I felt so proud of myself for doing something that made me that nervous. If you asked me if I was glad on Saturday, I would have said different, but I felt such relief once sacrament started! I had taught and it was over, it was a great feeling.

4 comments:

Joela said...

Shal-
I need your new address in Ogden!

Thanks,
Joela Craven

Dixie Packer said...

i'm so proud of you. by the way all of these pictures on your blog are absolutely adorable!

The Stone's said...

Oh Shal! I love doing Sharing Times! I have a ton of stuff! Next time you have to do one let me know! You're so cute! How are you feeling?

The Duckworth Family said...

Thanks for sharing that and about your willingness to take the time to study and read and learn so you were teaching what is appropriate. So often we don't do that in Primary thinking, oh their just kids. I have to do Sharing time all this month and even though I have done it now so many times, I still get nervous every time hoping it goes well. Especially today though because it was our ward conference and the Stake was there to watch us! My Jr Primary actually only had time for about a 3 minute sharing time, but for SR Primary I had the whole time and it went so well! I like you was so happy becuase I had really worried about doing something that the kids would enjoy, learn something and that of course was following the guidelines. I appreciate reading about your wonderful examples and your preserverance as a mother, wife, and member of this church. I love you Shal!